Missy Elliott has opened up about her troubled past of poverty and childhood sexual abuse.

In VH1's latest 'Behind the Music' documentary which debuted Wednesday, the highly accomplished and celebrated female rapper, who celebrates her 40th birthday Friday, reveals she grew up in dismal state of poverty in Portsmouth, Virginia. "I remember having mice in the house and my father taking some newspaper and beating me because mice was running on me while I was asleep," she revealed.

Missy's mom Patricia Elliott adds, "We didn't have running water ... We were going in a pot that sat by her bed, because we didn't have a bathroom."

Missy also shared the shocking story of sexual abuse at the hands of her 16-year-old cousin when she was only 8. She recalls, "Each day he wanted me to come to the house after school. It became sexual, which, for me at eight years old, I had no clue what that was, but I knew something was wrong."